Modbury Hospital – Transforming Health, SA
Duration: December 2015 to February 2017
Value: $32 million
Contract type: GC21 Managing Contractor – Design and Construct Conversion to Lump Sum
Summary: The upgrade of the Modbury Hospital, which is part of the State Government of South Australia’s Transforming Health initiative, has delivered improved hospital infrastructure and consolidated health services for residents in Adelaide’s northeastern suburbs.
New building works totalling 3000-m2 included:
- A new purpose-built rehabilitation centre including a gym, hydrotherapy pool, general consulting rooms and therapy garden. The building is fitted with a 10kw solar panel system, solar heating for the pool and domestic hotwater. The building is serviced by gas powered VRV which helps achieve the 5 star IGRAT rating.
- Complete demolition and refurbishment of the Level 3 ward, undertaken in two separate stages to maintain hospital operations.
- The new Level 3 ward expands the hospital’s existing rehabilitation services from 20 to 52 beds. Each of the new patient rooms are fitted with patient lifting devices, while 3 on-floor-therapy spaces (ADL Kitchen and 2 gyms) have been created.
- A covered link way connects the existing main hospital building to the New Rehabilitation Building.
Built Environs’s project team delivered this fast-tracked, multi-staged project within a live hospital environment, ensuring that Modbury Hospital and its associated health services remained operational throughout the project’s duration.
Notably, the team’s comprehensive and rigorous approach to quality resulted in the defect-free handover of each separate stage, with no outstanding defects at completion.
The project was successfully delivered under budget, with the final stage achieving an early hand over in mid-February 2017, and the Level 3 East refurbishment successfully handed over to the client on 12 September 2016.
The project has received multiple awards including:
- Master Builders SA – Winner for Excellence in a Commercial Fit-out up to $5m for Level 3.
- Master Builders SA – Commendation for Excellence in Commercial / Industrial Building $10m to $20m for the Specialist Ambulatory and Rehabilitation Centre (SpARC).
- Australian Institute of Building – South Australian Chapter – 2018 Professional Excellence in Commercial Construction $5 Million to $25 Million.
- National Australian Institute of Building – Certificate of High Commendation at the 2018 National Professional Excellence Awards for Commercial Construction $5 Million to $25 Million.